This week has been so busy, but I think I am starting to get things back in order finally :-) The oven was fixed on Thursday, so that has helped me restore peace back into my cooking routine at the very least. Mucho bacon has been consumed and I used the crock pot pretty often too! I'm not sure why I didn't take advantage of that lovely device before, but now I cook most of my meat in it.
I've also been eating plantains pretty often too and found an awesome product that is AIP approved and tastes kind of like Pringles (pictured to the right) :-P Faith in humanity restored! Of course I have no self control and blow through a bag of these tasty delights in under 30 minutes, but hey, I have to treat myself every now and then, right?
The addition of plantains and sweet potatoes (the Japanese kind... I'm still on the lookout for the delicious purple sweet potatoes I had in New York when I was home for break) have also really helped me keep full on days that I workout. I used to rely on rice and nut butters to keep me satisfied, but now, I just shove a bunch of plantain chips into my mouth and do a happy dance. Speaking of workouts, I've been upping all of my weights on all of my muscle routines lately and that has been AWESOME.
Anyway, onto the recipes/meals of the week that made my taste buds happy!
1) Aloo Gobi - These veggies were delicious and they lasted me almost the entire week which is a huge feat! :-) Cauliflower, carrots, and parsnips were in the mix as well as some awesome spices: cilantro, ginger, and turmeric. This is an Indian-based dish and the spices/seasoning involved helps with inflammation, digestion, and detoxing from heavy metals. Woohoo! I could use some help with all of that ;-)
2) Random Dinner - A lot of times I just throw a bunch of random stuff on a plate and call it dinner. Works for me! Yesterday I went pretty hard at the gym so I was exceptionally hungry throughout the day. I hooked myself up with some pumpkin puree, half of a sweet potato, salmon and greens, as well as some turkey (Applegate AIP-approved cold cuts, of course ;-)) with mango and avocado. I know how to treat my stomach well!
3) Cucumber "sushi" boats - I just whipped these up today thanks to Alena over at Grazed and Enthused and they are delish! They don't actually have any fish in them, but the kalamata olives help give the snack some more flavor. I love veggies though, so this isn't really an issue for me, but for those of you who are salt addicts, you'll definitely want to hook yourself up with some olives. They kind of look too pretty to eat, but that's never an issue for me haha.
4) Plantain chips - I don't understand why I've lived almost 25 years of my life without knowing how delicious plantains are. The texture is delectable, the taste is savory and rich (to me at least), and they're so easy to make! Also, my stomach does NOT tolerate bananas well, as I think I'm still working on my fructose malabsorption issues, so plantains are an awesome replacement for my old-time favorite fruit.
Anyway, I just chop these bad boys up into slices and cook them on the stove top in some olive oil. I'll probably try to bake them in the oven soon... I just haven't gotten around to it.
5) A random breakfast - Here's just a nice picture of my breakfast from this morning :-) I try to give myself a variety of different flavors so I start the day off on a good note. I used to drink the same smoothie every single day for breakfast and that got old real quick. I'm happy to report that I've ditched this habit and now I look forward to all of my meals! Picture below are ground turkey meatballs, plantain chips, pumpkin puree, blueberries, and some greens. Yum!
Any of my readers whip up something fun this week? Anyone want me to try something that they've seen on the interwebz? Leave me some feedback below!
Until next time!